How to Start Computer in Safe ModeLevel of difficulty: Intermediate
The Safe Mode is a function available to many computers and Operating Systems (OS). In a safe mode function, the computer operates on a limited functionality allowing the user to perform diagnostic tests. By using the safe mode function, the user can find and fix problems within a computer. This is a method used in removing some malware programs and viruses to prevent the computer from crashing in normal mode. While in safe mode function, only specific programs and files needed by the OS is running. However, it is possible to have Internet connection while the computer is in safe mode. It is possible for the computer to start longer than usual and video resolution may be different in safe mode function.
Close all programs and restart the computer. Be sure to save all previous work and important data.
While the computer is restarting or when the POST (Power-on-self-test) diagnostics are being displayed, start pressing the F8 key.
On the 'Start Up' menu and select the 'Safe Mode' function. If you need an Internet connection while the computer is in safe mode, select 'Safe Mode with Networking'.
Restart the computer, the OS will restart in Safe Mode. If the Safe Mode function is not activated, repeat Step 1 to 4 until it does.
Close all programs and shut down the computer when starting Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP OS in a Safe Mode function.
Wait for at least 30 seconds before starting the computer.
While the computer is starting, repeatedly press the 'F8' key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu will emerge. If a keyboard error occurs, just repeat Step 5-7.
Select the Safe Mode function on the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Make sure the Safe Mode is selected and press 'Enter'.
The computer will start in the Safe Mode function.
After troubleshooting and repairing your computer, close all programs and restart the computer.
It is also possible to access the Safe Mode function by starting the computer on normal mode. Click on the 'Start' button on the lower left of your Desktop and select 'Run'.
Enter 'msconfig' (without the quotation marks) and hit 'Enter'.
On the msconfig window, click the boot.ini. tab. Check the safeboot box and select 'minimal'.
To access the networking feature, select 'network' instead of 'minimal'.
Windows system maintenance:
You are currently viewing How to Start Computer in Safe Mode on Uniblue's how to archive.
Browse more how to's
- How to Start Computer in Safe Mode
- How to Start Your Own Computer Business
- How to Start an Internet Business
- How to Stop Microsoft Internet Explorer Pop-Ups
- How to Take Apart a Laptop
- How to Test a Router Firewall
- How to Test the Computer Power Supply
- How to Text Message a Phone from the Computer
- How to Text a Cell Phone from a Computer
- How to Track the Amount of Internet Traffic
- How to Transfer Data between Computers
- How to Transfer Data from an iPod to a Computer
- How to Transfer File from One Computer to Another
- How to Transfer Video from a Digital Camcorder to a PC
- How to Turn Your Computer into a Server
- How to Type in PDF file
- How to Understand Python for Software Design
- How to Uninstall McAfee
- How to Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2004
- How to Uninstall Sound Blaster Live
Search for another file extension